In his article of time magazine, 1977, Asimov’s predictions in his article are mostly false and overall positive utopian predictions about life without petroleum in 1997. Though this is true some of his predictions are true and others give hints to not what happened in 1997 but what happened in the 1980’s , 1990’s and mid 2000’s with gas prices. I will go through his thru statements now A) anyone older than ten can remember automobiles; this of course is not just an obvious statement, but is as well an obvious prediction. For the use of cars in his life time would never truly be forgotten or extinct. B) At first the price of gasoline climbed way up; this of course was not a true prediction, but I think it shows that his prediction was not wrong. He just happened to put it in for the wrong date. C) Rationing was introduced; this statement I find true mainly because I aim it towards the people because by news and other resources they got information on creating a healthier environment. Om the basis of these predictions they are not only scientific but historically made. To begin we must go back way before earth day….
Rachel Carson’s book “Silent Spring” was published in 1962; this novel went on and awakened America to the negative impacts of “Pesticides” (in which later contributed to the ban on “DDT”). Before and after then air pollution was very thick across the United States (mostly in large cities such as “New Jersey” and “LA”) that caused major “smog outbreaks”. Many lake and rivers were polluted as well from “Point Source Dumping” and “Nonpoint Source Dumping”. Bald eagles were decreasing due to the use of dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane (DDT) and pesticides (there were only 417 nesting pairs in 1963). As well the great lakes were a mess and Lake Erie was pronounced dead by national media in 1969. Lastly I add the infamous Cuyahoga River fire of 1969 in Cleveland, Ohio; this was the big step which brought us to the attention of water pollution (although the river had caught fire before). To read the news art8ical go to: http://www.cleveland.com/science/index.ssf/2009/06/cuyahoga_river_fire_40_years_a.html.
All of this leads up to Earth-Day of 1970 founded by Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin and Denis Hayes “honorary chair”. Earth-Day was an astounding accomplishment in U.S. history in which it achieved rare political attention enlisting support from democrats and republicans, rich and poor, city slickers and farmers, as well as tycoons and labor leaders. The first Earth-Day led to the creation of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Clean Air Act, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (Est.1972), the Toxic Substance Control Act (Est.1976), the Resource Conservation and recovery Act (Est.1976 as well) and many more.So now we get back to 1977 and Issaac Asimov’s predictions based on technology and other things.
Living through the seventy’s there was the knowledge of the possibility of renewable energy such as using solar or wind energy. Also there was a solution such as biofuels that could become possibilities. He had the records of CO2 emissions that he could use to predict how well the economy and people would be doing, as well as the reactions of people on that recent day.
In all fact these may be true except… his predictions had more falsities. These mostly included his psychological attempt of human behavior and being. Perhaps if he were a psychologist and a fiction writer instead of just being a fiction writer he would have made better predictions. Also perhaps if he were to consult a psychologist or someone in a reliable and unreliable field of psychology he may get some predictions from them except I myself must admit I am a student with do degree and only educational knowledge and other “random knowledge” which I call it that instead of free studying, personal studies, or etc… but dose having a degree matter if you read a book on engineering and go into practicing it as a hobby with no degree. Is the person then not a true learned man because he thought himself and has no degree? My answer is possibly against yours or most of the human population so I will give not my view. I admit I have no profession I’d like to be a writer but I am not a writer for I have never published a book or am known dose that not make me a writer? I know, but I really don’t what I can say is my writing may not please some people or the government perhaps anyone. Although I may go against something or some belief I a citizen for now know I have the freedom of speech and as that right still exist I shall abuse my freedom like all American’s and continue to write.
No comments:
Post a Comment